Thursday, July 23, 2009

Busy Day!

Ugh. Busy day.

It started out definitely on the wrong foot. I had an argument with my mother about tires for the Neon. I'm pretty sure I lost the argument because I was awake at 6:30 am getting estimates for a new set of Firestone's... It felt like I won, but based on the situation, it sort of felt like a loss ;)

Today, we had a visit to the Monroe County Fair. It was a really good time. Great food, lots of cute animals, and some pretty great folk art and, honestly, some pretty good high art, too. The best part of the art section was seeing little bits of popular culture or dissident culture in some of the art that was being judged at the fair. I feel like sometimes people who aren't familiar with small, rural town life see it as monolithic... (and I thought us city folk were supposed to be highly enlightened?) and fail to see that there are people who do not fit into the traditional mode that we ascribe to rural Midwest America. Obviously there were lots of tractors, cheap light beer, and the essential pro-life booth, but those things shouldn't blind us from seeing the diversity, talent, and cultural celebration that are in small town county fairs. And gosh darn it! I had some fun!

And a volleyball game tonight. Always a good work out, lots of sweat. We couldn't pull off a win tonight, but we took one from them. They were good, but they were jerks. It's OK. I felt good about how we played. Well, I think I will get some sleep tonight. Read a bit of my Cornel West book, "Keeping Faith" and get some shut eye. It's Friday tomorrow! Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment